Published: January 26, 2024

How to Acquire Property Ownership in California through Adverse Possession

Understanding Adverse Possession in California

Adverse possession is a legal concept that allows individuals to gain ownership of property through continuous and open possession, without the permission of the legal owner. In California, as in many other states, there are specific requirements and conditions that must be met for adverse possession to be successful.

Meeting the Requirements

In order to claim adverse possession in California, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Actual possession: You must physically occupy the property and treat it as your own. This means using the property, maintaining it, and excluding others from using it.
  • Open and notorious possession: Your possession of the property must be visible and obvious to the public and the legal owner. You cannot hide your occupation of the property.
  • Exclusive possession: You must possess the property exclusively, meaning you are the only one using and occupying it.
  • Continuous possession: Your possession of the property must be uninterrupted for a certain period of time, which is typically five years in California.
  • Hostile possession: Your possession of the property must be without the permission or consent of the legal owner. This means you cannot have any legal right to be on the property, such as a lease or rental agreement.

Steps to Acquire Property Ownership through Adverse Possession

If you believe you meet the requirements for adverse possession in California, you can take the following steps to acquire property ownership:

1. Research the Property

Before proceeding with an adverse possession claim, it is crucial to research the property thoroughly. This includes determining the legal owner, reviewing property records, and understanding any existing liens or encumbrances.

2. Consult with an Attorney

Adverse possession cases can be complex, and it is advisable to consult with an experienced real estate attorney who can guide you through the process. They can assess the strength of your claim, provide legal advice, and assist with the necessary paperwork.

3. Document Your Possession

It is essential to document your possession of the property in order to strengthen your claim. Keep records of your use, maintenance, and improvements made to the property. Take photographs, gather witness statements, and maintain a journal detailing your activities on the property.

4. Serve Notice to the Legal Owner

Before filing a lawsuit for adverse possession, you must serve notice to the legal owner of the property. This notice should inform them of your claim and give them an opportunity to respond. It is recommended to consult with your attorney to ensure the notice is properly drafted and served.

5. File a Lawsuit

If the legal owner does not respond or disputes your claim, you may need to file a lawsuit to establish your right to the property. Your attorney will guide you through the legal process, representing your interests and presenting evidence to support your claim of adverse possession.

6. Obtain a Court Order

If the court determines that you have met all the requirements for adverse possession, they may issue a court order granting you ownership of the property. It is important to note that the legal owner has the right to contest your claim and present evidence to refute it.


Acquiring property ownership through adverse possession in California is a complex legal process that requires meeting specific requirements and following the necessary steps. It is crucial to consult with an experienced real estate attorney who can provide guidance and representation throughout the process. Remember, adverse possession should only be considered as a last resort when all other options for acquiring the property have been exhausted.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

We are Hiring Real Estate Agents in Southern California. Get information here: Pellego Agent

Are you looking to sell your home or know someone who is?

I am a full time Agent as well and offer the below services. My commission structure will NOT be beat. I will feature your property on my website: Joe Homs Realtor. I will ALWAYS create; a single property website like this;105 Ovation, Irvine; Everyone likes it when someone brags about their home so I will; Blog about it on my; Real Estate Blog and; Promote it on my; Facebook Business Page. If that is not enough then I will also; Post it on Linkedin to my; Activity Feed and; Tweet about your property on my; Twitter Feed... And oh BTW... I'm going to create a Video; and post it on my; YouTube Channel, then share that with all my other Social Media Channels

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Find me on: BiggerPockets here:­ Joe on Bigger Pockets

My Schedule­­ if you would like a "one on one" appointment with me.

­­ (my Website)

Investors looking to flip click here: Flipper's Click Here

Sellers looking to sell click hereSelling Click Here

P.S. Do You Need To SELL YOUR HOME Quickly? We buy houses in ANY CONDITION! We pay CASH and you will not pay any commissions, agents, or fees. Save thousands in junk fees and work with a bona-fide buyer directly!

Get Cash Offer in 48 Hours! Click the link below ===>

If your home is listed on the MLS or you have a listing agreement with a Realtor this email is NOT intended on any solicitation of your listing.
DRE# 00702131

Copyright © 2022
Joe Homs
California License #00702131
23121 Verdugo Dr #100, Laguna Hills, CA 92653
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram